Contests & Awards
Creative Contest Rules
The Creative Contest is an opportunity for AHA youth members to show off their creative talents. Contestants may submit entries in the following categories:
- Creative writing
GENERAL RULES AND REQUIREMENTS
- Must be an AHA member to participate.
- Age Groups (Age is defined by entrant's age as of December 1st of the previous year)
- a. 13 & under
b. 14 - 17
c. 18 - 21
- Entries will be judged on creativity, originality and how well the entry utilizes the theme.
- A minimum of three or more entries are needed per category per age group of that category. If this minimum is not met that age group in that category will be cancelled for that year.
- An overall theme will be chosen each year for the entire contest revolving around the Arabian horse.
- Contestants may enter as many of the five categories as they wish. However, only one item per category may be submitted.
- The fee is $10 per entrant. Completed official entries must be submitted together with a postmark/electronic transaction date on or between January 1st and June 1st of the contest year. All of the following must be submitted together, the official entry form, signed by parent or guardian if under 18 years old, official consent form, delivery/return arrangement forms, the entry fee and the entry itself. Deadline for all entries is June 1st.
- Upon submission, all entries must be properly labeled with a completed Official Entry Label and have this label attached to the entry.
- Entries must be the participant's own work. Plagiarism will be grounds for contestant elimination.
- All entries not retrieved by the participants at the designated time/location or those that do not include funds for return shipping will become the property of AHA.
- a. Each participant will receive a certificate of participation.
b. All five categories in all three age groups will receive a first place award.
- All winners will be notified by mail.
- All winners will be published in Arabian Horse Magazine
CATEGORIES AND SPECIFIC RULES
All categories must follow the annual theme.
- ART - this category includes but is not limited to paintings (watercolor, oil, etc.), drawings (pencil, ink, charcoal), and sculpture (clay, wood, etc.).
- a. Paintings/drawings may be framed or unframed, however, the framing will not be taken into account during judging.
- b. The subject of the artwork must be of the Arabian horse genre.
- AUDIO/VISUAL - this category includes but is not limited to audiotapes, and videotapes (VHS format).
- a. No minimum time required for tape length. The tapes may not exceed 5 minutes.
- b. The subjects must include at least one Arabian, Half-Arabian or Anglo-Arabian which is registered with the Arabian Horse Association or the Canadian Arabian Horse registry.
- COMPUTER GENERATED - this category includes but is not limited to web pages, games, graphic presentations, and animation.
- a. The computer system requirements must be submitted at time of entry. If the entry will not fit on a 3-1/2 inch floppy disk, the entrant must provide the hardware necessary for transferring the file to the demonstration computer.
- b. Files must be PC compatible and must be in one of the following formats: Jpg, Bmp, Gif, Pix, Tif or a word document.
- CREATIVE WRITING - this category includes but is not limited to essays, short stories, poems, verse, and short plays.
- a. No minimum number of words required.
- b. The 13 & under age group writings may not exceed 900 words, neatly printed in ink or typed.
- c. The 14 - 17 age group writings may not exceed 1,200 words, neatly printed in ink or typed.
- d. The 18 - 21 age group writings may not exceed 1,500 words, neatly printed in ink or typed.
- PHOTOGRAPHY - this category includes human interest, conformation, black & white.
- a. Photographs must not be altered in any manner (no painting, airbrushing, etc.)
- b. Photographs submitted cannot be larger than 8" x 10" nor smaller than 5" x 7".
- c. The subjects of the photographs must include at least one Arabian, Half-Arabian or Anglo-Arabian which is registered with the Arabian Horse Association or the Canadian Arabian Horse registry.
- d. Each photograph submitted must be accompanied by a signed official consent form(s) pertaining to each of the subjects in the photograph.
- e. Please do not write directly on the photograph or on the back of the photograph.
- f. Piece may be framed or unframed, however, the framing will not be taken into account during judging.